Thursday, January 23, 2014

Are You a Frances or a Sophie?


Photo via Hollywood.com
 
We watched Frances Ha the other night. If you haven't heard, Frances Ha is a movie about a girl trying to make it as a dancer in New York City.

The two main characters Frances (Greta Gerwig) and Sophie (Mickey Sumner) are best friends that grow apart after Sophie announces she can no longer live with Frances because she found a better apartment. Frances who is struggling to find work as a dancer and just broke up with her boyfriend can't afford to live with Sophie so she stays on a friend's couch.

I love the way their two separate but parallel lives are conveyed throughout the move in the way that they dress. Despite their differences they still compliment each other. I would say I probably lean more toward Sophie, but there is definitely room for free-spirited Frances in my life.

Are you a Sophie or a Frances?
Frances is a free spirit with no concrete career or relationship. At one point Frances is doing pirouettes to cross the street in a leather jacket, floral print dress and converse sneakers. 
Jacket / Sneakers / Dress / Ballet shoes


Sophie wears a smart blazer and oxfords and seems to have her life figured out with a great job and a serious relationship. These of course are the things we equate with having it all figured out, but the movie does a good job of questioning that.  

2 comments:

Dina's Days said...

I haven't heard of this film. I'm a Frances!

E said...

Ahhh! I love this post! Definitely one of my favorite movies I've seen this year and I love that you styled outfits for them! I think I'm Frances :-).