Friday, January 28, 2011

50 classics for our closets and 30 for 30 challenge

Hopefully you haven't been living under a rock, and you have heard of and witnessed the charming online lifestyle magazine Matchbook. It just launched on Wednesday. In the pages of the premier issue they give us a 50 classics for your closet checklist. This is something that I could not love more because for a while now I have been trying to build what I consider to be the ultimate closet. One that is not filled with outdated trends and disposable cheap clothing, but one that is equipped with the classics that will pull through for me time and time again.

I have some of the things on this list, but there are definitely gaps that need to be filled. A lot of that has to do with my instant gratification shopping habits. I realize I need to slow down my spending and focus on saving for these clutch wardrobe pieces.

To help with that mindset, I am participating in Kendi Everyday's 30 for 30 challenge. The idea is to restrict yourself to wear 30 pieces of clothing from your wardrobe (including shoes) for 30 days. Sound hard? The real kicker is there will be no shopping for 30 days as well. Goodbye spring shopping!

During this challenge I hope to:

1. Appreciate what is in my own closet.
2. Find new ways to wear my clothes.
3. Figure out what is not working and purge. 
4. Save money.
5. Focus on purchasing items that are evergreen.

I will be taking you along for the ride and you will see a lot of repeat outfits in the month of February. Just be warned. I will be sharing the 30 items I pick. So stay tuned.

Wish me luck! And let me know if you decide to participate! The more support the better!









10 comments:

Marissa said...

i've been toying with the idea of joining this challenge, especially with my really bad online shopping habit (good by e-bay) so i may give it a go...


Girl Meets Handbag


Murval Paris

Alicia said...

Good luck with your 30 for 30 challenge! I do love the idea of re-working what's in your closet!

fallon hogerty said...

thanks for the matchbook magazine love! we're so pleased that you liked our "50 Classics" piece... it was one of our favorite stories, as well. stay tuned for issue # 2-- it's going to be just as fabulous!

xxoo fallon

angie said...

Thanks so much for the info. greatly appriciated!!!

potpie du monde said...

Great post!! Good luck with your 30 for 30 challenge- that is an awesome idea!

Stacey Kay said...

Good luck with your challenge! I wrote an article surrounding the Refinery29 search, and you're featured! Hope you don't mind some extra publicity and hopefully extra votes! Click on the Examiner link.

xoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
www.GoodwillHuntingg.com
Women’s Fashion Examiner-Cleveland

Kristin said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the challenge!

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] said...

I go through my clothes every season, and if I haven't worn something, I donate it! Then I try to think about what i'm missing. I'm currently looking for a good trench coat. I lost mine at Oktoberfest?? Of course.

Tracey said...

Wow I love this! Such a great way to save and get creative with your closet! It would really be hard to pick 30 things!

Lisa D. said...

I've been living under a rock because I haven't seen this magazine! I can't wait to go check it out. =) I also saw your 30 for 30 pieces -- I think you'll be able to do so much with those. I'll stop by to check out your remix!

~Lisa